1993 – 1995: Engineering degree at ENSEEG, Specialisation in Process Engineering and Electrochemistry
National Polytechnical Institute of Grenoble
1994 – 1995: Research Master in Electrochemistry, University Joseph Fourier, Grenoble (ranked 1st)
1996 – 1999: PhD in Materials Science, University Paul Sabatier, Toulouse, France
2000 – 2001: Post-doctoral research fellow at Oxford University (UK) (French ministry of defence grant)
Inorganic Chemistry Laboratory
Pioneering work in the field of synthesis of double-walled carbon nanotubes (DWNT).
Development of biomedical applications of CNTs, after investigation of both their potential toxicity / environmental impact. Application fields range from nanocomposites materials for energy, photonics and nanoelectronics, as well as drug delivery and antimicrobial surfaces.
Activity at the interface between on one side chemistry (purification, surface functionalisation including the grafting of dyes or bioactive molecules) and biology on the other side.
Recent works also include research on boron nitride compounds, both as 2D (h-BN) and 1D (BN nanotubes) nanostructures.
PhD students (as director / co-director): 17 defended, 5 in progress.
- Group leader (Carbon nanotubes et nanocomposites team, CIRIMAT) (2018-)
Expert at ANSES (French National Agency for Food, Environmental and Occupational Health & Safety):
(a) Member of Comité d'Experts Spécialisé "Physical agents, new technologies and major developments" (since 2008); occasional expert for AFSSAPS (French National Agency for medicines and health products)
(b) Member of workgroup "Human health risk assessment for nanomaterials" (2011 - 2014)
(c) Member of workgroup "Nanomaterials: Health, Food, Environment, Workplace" (2012-2015). In particular, work on the French Mandatory declaration of nanoscale substances, R-Nano.
(d) Vice president of the workgroup on "nanoparticles and food" (since 2017)
(e) Member of the Evaluation Commission for research projects of the "National Research Programme on Environment / occupational health (PNR-EST) (2014-2018).
- Member of workgroup "labelling/restriction of products containing nanomaterials", DGPR, Ministry of Ecology (2015)
- Expert for the French High Council of Public Health (workgroup on Nano TiO2; 2017 – 2018; 2019).
- Member of the Scientific Council of the epidemiologic study EpiNano (Public Health France) since 2018.
- Regular Expert for the European Commission (FP7-NMP, ERC) and many other international institutions.
- Editor of Synthetic Metals (Elsevier) since 2016; Co-editor of the Encyclopaedia of Nanotechnology, B. Bhushan, Editor (First Ed., 2008)Springer Nature Appl. SciChem. Phys. ChemFrontiers in MaterialsPart. Sci. Technol.
- Jean Rist medal – French Society of Metallurgy and Materials (2007)
- Paul Sabatier award from the Académie des Sciences, Inscriptions et Belles Lettres de Toulouse (2007)
- INP'Innov award (National Polytechnical Institute of Toulouse, 2011), for the creation of the joint laboratory Nautile
- "Senior researcher" award from the Physical Chemistry Division (French Chemical Soc. and French Physical Soc.) (2016)
- "Scientific excellence" awards (PES) (2010-2018);2020-2024
- Fellow of the European Academy of Sciences (EurASc) (2020)
h-index: 47 (source: Scopus; > 10000 citations)