Paolo Colombo is a professor of Materials Science and Technology at the Department of Industrial Engineering, University of Padova, Padova, Italy.
He was an assistant professor at the University of Padova from 1990 to 1998 and then an associate professor at the University of Bologna, until 2005.
He is also an adjunct professor of Materials Science and Engineering at the Pennsylvania State University, and a visiting professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering of University College London, UK.
He was a Foreign Scientist at INSA, Lyon, France in 2015, and a DGF Mercator Professor at the Technical University Bergakademie Freiberg, Germany in 2016.
He was elected Academician of the World Academy of Ceramics (2006), Academician of the European Academy of Sciences (2016), Fellow of the American Ceramic Society (2010), Fellow of the Institute of Materials, Minerals and Mining (2011), Fellow of the European Ceramic Society (2017).
He was awarded a Fulbright Scholarship for the Pennsylvania State University in 1991, the Pfeil Award (The Institute of Materials, Minerals and Mining, London, UK) in 2007, the Global Star Award (The Engineering Ceramics Division of the American Ceramic Society) in 2010, the Edward C. Henry Award (The Electronics Division of The American Ceramic Society) in 2011, the Verulam Medal & Prize (The Institute of Materials, Minerals and Mining, London, UK) in 2013 and the Global Ambassador Award (The American Ceramic Society) in 2016.
He is a member of the EPSRC Peer Review College (UK).
Paolo Colombo was Principal Investigator for PRIN, Vigoni, Galileo projects and has been involved in European Projects (FP6, FP7, Horizon 2020). He was Principal Investigator for several research contracts with national and international companies.
He published more than 240 papers in peer-reviewed journals, 9 book chapters and holds 10 international patents. He is co-editor of a book on cellular ceramics, a book on polymer-derived-ceramics and 11 proceedings books.
h index WOS (accessed 16/1/19): 41, Total Number of Citations: 6699, Average Citations per Item: 26.58. h index Google Scholar (accessed 16/1/19): 56, Citations: 11348, i10 index: 185.
He is in the editorial board of 8 international scientific journals (Journal of the American Ceramic Society, Materials Letters, Ceramics International, Journal of Porous Materials, Journal of Materials Research, Journal of Asian Ceramic Societies, Advances in Applied Ceramics: Structural, Functional and Bioceramics, Journal of Ceramic Science and Technology).
He has co-organized several international conferences (>90), has given numerous invited talks in the field of porous ceramics and polymer-derived-ceramics (>40), and has been the guest editor for special issues devoted to those topics (6). He was the convener of the XVI conference of the European Ceramic Society (Turin, Italy, 16-20/6/2019).
Paolo Colombo’s research interests include novel processing routes to porous glasses and ceramics (currently focusing mainly on Additive Manufacturing, using different technologies), the development of ceramic components from preceramic polymers and geopolymers, and the vitrification and reuse of hazardous industrial and natural waste.
1. P. Colombo, “In Praise of Pores,” Science, 322 (2008) 381-383
2. P. Colombo, “Engineering Porosity in Polymer-Derived Ceramics,” J. Europ. Ceram. Soc., 28 (2008) 1389-1395.
3. P. Colombo, G. Mera, R. Riedel and G.D. Sorarù, “Polymer-Derived-Ceramics: 40 Years of Research and Innovation in Advanced Ceramics,”, J. Am. Ceram. Soc., 93 (2010) 1805–1837.
4. P. Colombo, C. Vakifahmetoglu and S. Costacurta, “Fabrication of Ceramic Components with Hierarchical Porosity,” J. Mat. Sci., 45 (2010) 5425–5455.
5. P. Colombo and H.P. Degischer, “Highly Porous Metals and Ceramics,” Mater. Sci. Tech., 26 (2010) 1145-1158.
6. P. Colombo, E. Bernardo and G. Parcianello, “Multifunctional Advanced Ceramics from Preceramic Polymers and Nano-sized Active Fillers,” J. Europ. Ceram. Soc., 33 (2013) 453–469
7. P. Colombo, D. Dunand, V. Kumar, “Porous materials: Less is more,” J. Mater. Res., 28 (2013) 2187–2190.
8. E. Bernardo, L. Fiocco, G. Parcianello, E. Storti and P. Colombo, “Advanced Ceramics from Preceramic Polymers Modified at the Nano-Scale: A Review,” Materials, 7 (2014), 1927-1956
9. A. Zocca, P. Colombo, C.M. Gomes, J. Guenster, “Additive Manufacturing of Ceramics: issues, potentialities and opportunities,” J. Am. Ceram. Soc., 98 (2015) 1983–2001.
10. C. Vakifahmetoglu, D. Zeydanli, P. Colombo, “Porous polymer derived ceramics,” Mat. Sci. Eng. R, 106 (2016) 1-30
11. C. Bai and P. Colombo, “Processing, properties and applications of highly porous geopolymers: a review,” Ceram. Int., 44, 14 (2018) 16103–16118.
1. C. Vakifahmetoglu, P. Colombo, E. Pippel and J. Woltersdorf, “Growth of 1D-Nanostructures in Porous Polymer Derived Ceramics by Catalyst-Assisted-Pyrolysis. Part I: Iron Catalyst,” J. Am. Ceram. Soc. , 93 (2010) 959-968.
2. C. Vakifahmetoglu, P. Colombo, S. Carturan, E. Pippel and J. Woltersdorf, “Growth of 1D-Nanostructures in Porous Polymer Derived Ceramics by Catalyst-Assisted-Pyrolysis. Part II: Cobalt Catalyst,” J. Am. Ceram. Soc., 93 (2010) 3709–3719.
3. C. Vakifahmetoglu, V. Presser, S.-H. Yeon, P. Colombo, Y. Gogotsi, “Enhanced hydrogen and methane gas storage of silicon oxycarbide derived carbon,” Micro. Meso. Por. Mater., 144 (2011) 105-112
4. M. Fukushima, Y. Yoshizawa, P. Colombo, “Decoration of ceramic foams by ceramic nanowires via catalyst-assisted-pyrolysis of preceramic polymers,” J. Am. Ceram. Soc., 95 (2012) 3071–3077
5. M. Adam, C. Vakifahmetoglu, P. Colombo, M. Wilhelm, G. Grathwohl, “Polysiloxane-Derived Ceramics Containing Nanowires with Catalytically Active Tips,” J. Am. Ceram. Soc., 97 (2014) 959–966.
6. M. Strozi Cilla, M.R. Morelli, P. Colombo, “Geopolymer Foams by Gelcasting,” Ceram. Inter., 40 (2014) 5723–5730
7. M. Strozi Cilla, P. Colombo, M.R. Morelli, “Effect of process parameters on the physical properties of porous geopolymers obtained by gelcasting.” Ceram. Inter., 40 (2014) 13585–13590.
8. M. Strozi Cilla, M.R. Morelli, P. Colombo, “Open cell geopolymer foams by a novel saponification/peroxide/gelcasting combined route,” J. Europ. Ceram. Soc., 34 (2014) 3133–3137.
9. D. Li, E. Guzi de Moraes, P. Colombo, and Z. Shen, “Preparation of nasal cavity-like SiC-Si3N4 foams with hierarchical pore architecture,” RSC Adv., 5 (2015) 27891-27900.
10. M.D.M. Innocentini, J.R. Coury, M. Fukushima and P. Colombo, “High-efficiency aerosol filters based on silicon carbide foams decorated with ceramic nanowires,” Separ. Purif. Tech., 152 (2015) 180–191
Additive Manufacturing papers
1. A. Zocca, P. Colombo, J. Guenster, T. Muehler, “Selective laser densification of lithium aluminosilicate glass ceramic tapes,” Appl. Surf. Sci., 265 (2013) 610–614
2. A. Zocca, E. Bernardo, P. Colombo, C.M. Gomes, J. Guenster, “LAS Glass-Ceramic Scaffolds by Three-Dimensional Printing,” J. Europ. Ceram. Soc., 33 (2013) 1525–1533
3. A. Zocca, C.M. Gomes, J. Guenster, A. Staude, E. Bernardo and P. Colombo, “SiOC ceramics with ordered porosity by 3D-printing of a preceramic polymer,” J. Mater. Res., 28 (2013) 2243–2252.
4. A. Zocca, H. Elsayed, E. Bernardo, C.M. Gomes, M.A. Lopez-Heredia, C. Knabe, P. Colombo and J. Günster, “3D-printing of silicate bioceramics using a preceramic polymer as non-sacrificial, reactive binder,” Biofabr., 7 (2015) 025008 (12 pages).
5. G. Franchin and P. Colombo, “Porous geopolymer components through inverse replica of 3D printed sacrificial templates,” J. Ceram. Sci. Tech., 6 (2015) 105-112.
6. A. Zocca, P. Colombo, C.M. Gomes, J. Guenster, “Additive Manufacturing of Ceramics: issues, potentialities and opportunities,” J. Am. Ceram. Soc., 98 (2015) 1983–2001.
7. J. Klein, M. Stern, G. Franchin, M. Kayser, C. Inamura, S. Dave, J. Weaver, P. Houk, P. Colombo, M. Yang and N. Oxman, “Additive Manufacturing of Optically Transparent Glass,” 3D Print. Add. Manuf., 2 (2015) 92–105.
8. E. Zanchetta, M. Cattaldo, G. Franchin, M. Schwentenwein, J. Homa, G. Brusatin and Paolo Colombo “Stereolithography of SiOC Ceramic Microcomponents," Adv. Mater., 28 (2016) 370-376.
9. P. Colombo, J. Schmidt, G. Franchin, A. Zocca and J. Guenster, “Additive Manufacturing of Ceramics using Preceramic Polymers,” Bull. Am. Ceram. Soc., 96 (2017) 16–23
10. G. Franchin, P. Scanferla, L. Zeffiro, H. Elsayed, A. Baliello, G. Giacomello, M. Pasetto, P. Colombo, “Direct Ink Writing of Geopolymeric Inks,” J. Eur. Ceram. Soc., 37 (2017) 2481–2489
11. G. Franchin, L. Wahl and P. Colombo, “Direct ink writing of ceramic matrix composite structures,” J. Am. Ceram. Soc., 100 (2017) 4397–4401.
12. J. Schmidt and P. Colombo, “Digital Light Processing of Ceramic Components from Polysiloxanes,” J. Eur. Ceram. Soc., 38 (2018) 57-66.
Selected Invited and Plenary talks
1. “Designing Porosity in Polymer-Derived-Ceramics,” 3rd International Congress on Ceramics (ICC-3), 14-18 November 2010, Osaka, Japan
2. “Novel Developments and trends in Porous Ceramics,” 4th International Congress on Ceramics (ICC-4), 14-18 July 2012, Chicago, USA
3. “Highly Porous Ceramics from Preceamic Polymers,” 8th International Conference on High-Performance Ceramics (CICC-8), 4-7 November 2013, Chongqing, China.
4. “Advanced Ceramics from Preceramic Polymers and Fillers,” Plenary speaker, DKG-Annual Meeting 2014, Symposium on High-performance Ceramic, 24-26 March 2014, Clausthal-Zellerfeld, Germany
5. “Geopolymer Foams with Hierarchical Porosity,” Cellular Materials 2014, 22-24 October 2014, Dresden, Germany.
6. “Additive Manufacturing with Preceramic Polymers,” 40th International Conference and Expo on Advanced Ceramics and Composites (ICACC-40), January 26-29, 2016, Daytona Beach, FL, USA.
7. “Additive Manufacturing of Ceramics using Inorganic Polymers”, 10th International Conference on High-Performance Ceramics (CICC-10), November 4 - 7, 2017, Nanchang, China
8. “Additive Manufacturing of Ceramics with Geopolymers”, 42nd International Conference and Expo on Advanced Ceramics and Composites (ICACC-42), January 21-26, 2018, Daytona Beach, FL, USA.
9. “High-porosity Geopolymer Components by Direct Foaming and Direct Ink Writing”, 42nd International Conference and Expo on Advanced Ceramics and Composites (ICACC-42), January 21-26, 2018, Daytona Beach, FL, USA.
10. “Additive manufacturing of inorganic polymers”, 2nd Nordic Conference on Ceramic and Glass Technology, 10-11/12/2018, Roskilde, Denmark.